California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform (CANHR)’s Lawyer Referral Service can help clients figure out if they need legal help in the following areas, and then refer them to a private attorney for help: estate planning/Medi-Cal for long term care, special needs trusts, elder and dependent abuse, elder financial abuse, care home violations, and conservatorship. They run their own referral lists and sometimes have pro bono support available for very low-income clients.

Ways to Contact

Call 415.974.5171 (toll-free at 800.474.1116) or submit a request HERE.


California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform (CANHR) staff will discuss your issue with you, help you figure out if you need legal help, and refer you to a private attorney if you do.


Collect key information in advance if possible: case numbers, names of key people, court dates and deadlines, documents related to the issue, and any questions you have.