Bay Area Legal Aid provides a number of legal services to low-income residents across the region, with a focus on public benefits, domestic violence, public housing, consumer law, health care, and foster care.
Ways to Contact
Call the Legal Advice Line at 1.800.551.5554 during open hours: Monday: (9:30am – 3:00pm), Tuesday and Wednesday: (9:30am – 1pm), Thursday: (9:30am – 3pm).
Local Office Direct Phone Numbers:
- Alameda County:(510) 250-5270Contra Costa County West:(510) 250-5270
- Contra Costa County East:(925) 219-3325
- Marin County:(415) 354-6360
- Napa County:(707) 320-6348
- San Francisco County:(415) 354-6360
- San Mateo County:(650) 472-2666
- Santa Clara County:(408) 850-7066
When you call, you will navigate through the phone system, and either wait on the phone or choose to receive a call back that day. Here are some tips:
- Call as early as possible
- Call from a number that you want to be called back on
- The person seeking help must be present
- Watch your phone from a return call from a 510 area code
- If you miss the call, start the process again the next day
The primary way to obtain services is by calling in first. The attorney you talk to by phone will either provide advice and information, or may schedule you for an appointment with an attorney.
Note that each office differs with regard to how many services they offer beyond the phone consult, including the following:
- San Mateo County: Primarily provides domestic violence services
- Marin and Napa Counties: Services are limited
Collect key information in advance if possible: case numbers, names of key people, court dates and deadlines, documents related to the issue, and any questions you have.
If you have trouble connecting to someone through the Legal Advice Line, you can also try the local office at:
Alameda County: (510) 250-5270
Contra Costa County West: (510) 250-5270
Contra Costa County East: (925) 219-3325
Marin County: (415) 354-6360
Napa County: (707) 320-6348
San Francisco County: (415) 354-6360
San Mateo County: (650) 472-2666
Santa Clara County: (408) 850-7066